Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good Morning World

Last night I was feeling ambitious and set my 'internal alarm' for 5:00 a.m. I did indeed wake up at five, but didn't really want to drag my butt out. It's going to take some time where I again reach the point where I bound out of bed at 5:00 am with a huge smile on my face. I huddled in bed until 5:20 and then dragged myself out.

I was out the door by 5:45, feeling a whole lot more like running after a banana and some vanilla soy milk. Yum!

It's the kind of day that doesn't particularly inspire me to run. Gray, foggy, humid...my skin was slick before I'd even completed the first kilometre. I'm hoping we'll get some of those bright and sunny early mornings again soon.

My legs felt like lead this morning...it was like I was running through water. I was feeling yesterday morning's run only in that way...just a tiredness in my muscles, reminding me that I'd pushed myself a little harder than I have been lately. I did my best to push on with my legs of lead...at that point, it's just a mental game. Grit your teeth and keep on pushing. Don't think about stopping or turning back.

Things that made me smile this morning:

- Tiptoeing out of my quiet house while my family was still sleeping.

- Running through the near-empty streets.

- Seeing my girlfriend out running too, and yelling "FREAK!" at one another.

- The 5 pound poodle that lunged and barked at me like it was going to tear me apart.

- Being greeted at the door by Emma with a "Mommy, I'm STARVING!"

Good morning World.

1 comment:

Legs and Wings said...

Very good! I'm glad to see you're back out on the road. The rest of the day always looks a little brighter after an early morning run.