Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's Coming....

I can feel it in the air.

Fall.

It's been there for a while now, starting slowly, with a small hint in the air. It's undeniable now. There's no turning back. Sure, we'll still have lots of warm and sunny days, but this time of year never feels the same as early summer. There's a difference there that you can't ignore.

This is the time of year that always makes me think of new clothes and fresh notebooks and new pens. Fresh beginnings. It's the time of year when I want to start new projects, when I feel my most energetic and ready to take on the world. It goes back to school days, when September is the true beginning of the year.

This year I'm approaching fall with mixed feelings. I have my usual energy and enthusiasm, which is good. I've been making plans for Miss Emma's first year of homeschooling, and I'm looking forward to it. I love the beautiful fall colours and running in the crisp mornings.

There's a twinge of sadness there, too, at the lightening-speed passage of time and the fact that winter is hurtling toward us once again. It feels like we just got rid of the warm socks and winter books and heavy coats. I'm not ready for that yet.

I also don't feel ready for how quickly my girls are growing up. It's happening before my very eyes. Some days I look at them and my heart is screaming, "Slow down! Stay like this a little while longer!!!" But yet time marches on, and I'm powerless to slow it down. All I can do is enjoy those little moments while I'm in them, and hug my memories close to me. I'm thankful that I have so many wonderful ones.

No comments: