Monday, April 21, 2008

Glorious Morning

My internal alarm was set for 6:00 am. I woke up at precisely 6:02. I managed to make it out of the room without waking Em or Mo, who were both sleeping in our room. I was out the door by 6:50 and hit the streets.

It was a good morning to be out there running. At first I was feeling a little discouraged, I haven't been running a lot in the last few months. I'd originally wanted to head down to Point Pleasant, but wasn't sure if I had the mental stamina to get there. Running is about so much more than physical ability; I was sure that physically I could make it, I just wasn't so sure about my mental strength.

By the time I hit the 5 or 6 k mark, I knew that I'd be able to do it. The determination had set in.

I went to the park, ran through it, and made my way home. I saw so many things that made me smile this morning. Dogs running through the park. Other runners. Crocuses on people's lawns. The sun coming through the clouds. My neighbour's magnolia tree beginning to bud, almost ready to bloom in some places.

My body is definitely feeling this morning's 21-k. It's been a good 6 months since I've run that far. But it's okay that I'm feeling it - I definitely enjoy the feeling of having pushed my body harder than it's used to.

Right now I feel content and in love with life. This morning's run reminded me of why I need to keep working.

1 comment:

Legs and Wings said...

Yikes, that's a long one. And, yes...the weather has finally been perfect. Good one!