I've read a lot of homeschooling books over the past couple of years. One of the things I've read about is how often non homeschoolers, when talking to homeschoolers, always bring up one particular word - 'socialization'. I used to think that it was a bunch of hooey, that it wasn't really all that common.
Boy, was I wrong.
I tend not to engage in homeschooling conversations with non-homeschoolers if I can help it. I've noticed that people are often defensive about their own educational choices; it's almost as if my personal decision to homeschool is somehow a comment on their decision not to homeschool. My personal opinion, really, is that every family has to decide what is right for them. For some families it's homeschooling, for others its private school, for others it might be something like french immersion, and still others, public school. It's a very personal decision, and I don't enjoy people commenting on MY choices, so why would I comment on YOURS?
Often when the subject of homeschooling does come up with non-homeschoolers, particularly with those who want to talk me out of it, that dreaded word does indeed come up. "Aren't you concerned about socialization?" they ask. The first few times this came up, I was amazed. It really does happen, just like they say in the books!
It's funny how so many people have this vision of homeschooling families being shut up inside their houses, being sheltered from the world. It's really not like that at all, at least not with many of the homeschooling families that I have seen around. In fact, a lot of homeschooling kids that I've seen are polite, well-mannered, and able to converse with people of all ages, not just children their own age. I look at my own two kids and see that they have people they consider 'friends' of all ages. Em, in fact, makes friends wherever she goes - librarians, bus drivers, grocery-store cashiers, an elderly couple who lives in our neighbourhood, random people at bus stops. She plays with children of all ages, as well, babies and older children alike. This is not a kid that has difficultly being social with anyone of any age. Mo, although generally a bit slower to warm up, also has friends of all ages.
My biggest socialization concern when it comes to homeschooling is my own. I need adult contact on a regular basis in order to feel like a normal human being. I've attended a few homeschooler outings lately, and my primary concern is scoping out other parents that *I* like and get along with. Hey, I'm not necessarily looking to make a new best friend, but I least want to connect with other parents that I can relate to, share similar interests with, and can hopefully have a giggle with from time to time.
I've met a few other moms lately that I'm enjoying getting to know. It's fun having someone new to chat with and get to know. In one case, I've spent more time chatting with the mom than the kids have spent getting together - let's just hope that our kids 'click', otherwise we'll be screwed. Ah, well, we'll turn 'em into friends if it kills us! ;) It's for mommy's own good, kids. I need friends, too....otherwise this homeschooling thing just isn't going to work out.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"socialization" . . . . isn't that kind of a Mussolini word? Makes me think of very bad things.
But yes, we all need time to do our own thing, and when you're with kids full-time, 'grown up' time is very important. One of the reasons kids need independent activities and playdates is for their caregivers' sakes!
-Alishya
yeah, the *S* word.... I hear a lot about it too! ;)
Post a Comment