Tuesday, July 22, 2008

If I live to be a Hundred....

Last night, in the middle of the night, as I was helping Molly in the bathroom, I was suddenly struck with how precious and beautiful life is. I've been feeling that a lot lately -- an all-pervasive, overwhelming sense of gratitude for my life and for the people that are in it. I'm also struck by how quickly time passes, and how it's all so fleeting...it feels like it wasn't that long ago that Emma was an infant and she and I were snuggling in bed on long lazy spring mornings...and now suddenly, she's five years old, growing into a charming, insightful, intelligent little person. It all happened to quickly...and I know that time is only speeding up from here.

If I live to be a hundred, there are some parts of this parenting experience that I will carry with me forever. The smell of my girls when they were tiny babies. The incredible loving bond I felt as they nursed. The smell of their sweet milky breath. Their first smiles. Sharing in the joy of their early accomplishments - rolling over, crawling, walking. The sound of their slow breathing, and the feeling of soft, chubby little feet against my back in the middle of the night. Their infectious giggles ringing through the house. The sparkle dancing in their eyes as they share their excitement. Hearing the words, "I love you, Mommy."

It's all so precious. And I am so fortunate.

No comments: