I'm a big fan of Jann Arden. Not just of her music, but of her writing as well. She has an online journal, has had it for years, and it's filled with wonderful poetic prose...just her odd ramblings and observations about life.
Some of her previous journal entries have been compiled into two books. I've owned one of them for years, and the other one I recently got out of the library. I've been reading both of them a lot lately. I just love her sense of humour and the way she sees herself and the world. She's so down to earth and profound and humble. I bet she'd be a riot to share a bottle of wine with.
I recently read the following passage from her book, "If I knew, don't you think I'd tell you?" The entry is from May of 2000:
"....I don't regret any part of my life. I rarely go back to those old times. I hear them in my head though, whispering to me...warning me. I know my life will be based on memories. What I choose to be will be based on what I do with those memories. Even the bad ones shine somehow. The lessons still unravel even today. And it's always a different lesson, from the very same memory. Every time I think of one of those days or nights or moments...the lesson is so different."
This passage really spoke to me when I read it. I find myself somehow encouraged by the idea that memories have different lessons to teach, depending on who we are at the time that we remember it. I guess that's what life is about, really...constantly learning, constantly evolving.
I hope I never grow stagnant.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment