All my life I've always put other people ahead of myself.
Their needs. Their wants. Their opinions. Their thoughts.
Everyone else has always always always been more important than me. I always looked to other people to guide me in life, because I always believed that their vision, even their vision for me, was more important than my own vision for myself.
I did it as a daughter. I did it as a friend. I did it as a girlfriend. I did it as a wife. I did it as a mother.
For the first time, possibly ever in my life, I am putting myself first. Not selfishly, but I am out there pursuing my own happiness....because always putting myself at the bottom of the list results in a life that is horribly out of balance. This means that in finding a new balance, a "new normal", a healthy way of living, the pendulum is likely going to swing a little in the other direction.
I don't *think* that I'm being this horribly selfish person....and yet other people think that I am.
So here is the question -- do I, once again, bow down to the opinions of others, allowing what they think of me to colour how I see myself? Or do I trust in my own judgment to tell me that I am simply doing the best that I can right now, imperfect as it may be?
I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. I don't do everything perfectly.
I used to beat myself up for that....and now that I'm not, it looks like other people are taking my place.
The hard truth is that I can only do the best that I can do in any particular moment...and *I* am the one who has to look myself in the mirror every morning. I can forgive myself for my flaws. I can make mistakes, happily, see them for what they are, and learn from them.
I see myself more clearly than perhaps I have in my whole life...and I have to have faith in that, despite how things make look on the outside to others.
Because this is my life.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment