Saturday, November 29, 2008

What.A.Kid.

So before I begin this tale, I'll start with a little background about our family, for those of you who aren't familiar.

We are mostly vegetarian. We tried going "all the way" a while back, but couldn't take it, so now we choose to eat meat on occasion, but always make sure that it's free range or organic when we do. Same with dairy products and eggs.

(Here's where I admit that I do occasionally go in for a hunk of "dirty meat", but I'm definitely strict about it with the kids).

Usually when we are out places, or eating at someone's home, we end up eating vegetarian, rather than eating "dirty meat"...again, particularly when it comes to the kids.

So today was Miss E's Princess Party extravaganza. On the way home, she was filling me in on all the details.

"So what did you have for lunch?" I asked.

"Chicken Nuggets." She informed me.

"Okay." (Hell, as I said, I've been known to indulge in a little dirty meat myself; I wasn't about to come down on HER for it).

"But I told them that I was vegetarian and so I wouldn't be eating those."

I kept my smirk to myself.

"So what did you have instead?"

"I ate some vegetables and they made me a grilled cheese sandwich."

"That sounds good."

"I didn't eat very much of the sandwich, though. I saw that they made it with yellow cheese, and we don't eat yellow cheese, so I told them that."

"Okay then."

After we got home, Daddy and I each spent some time talking to her about how it was really great that she was able to speak up for herself, and stick to what she believed in. I know lots of adults (myself included) who might've just "sucked it up" in order to not create a problem.

Suddenly, I've got no worries at all about that kid going to public school next year. I have a feeling that she'll be able to handle herself quite nicely.

That's my girl.

No comments: