Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rotten Day

I find it highly ironic that I woke up this morning feeling more positive and hopeful about life than I have in a long time, and it turned out being a rotten day.

I had a nice early chat with H this morning that started the morning off well. I shared my positivity with him, and got some in return. So that was good.

I had a doctor's appointment this morning that I had to drag the kids along to, which wasn't preferable, but manageable. We even made it there on time. My doctor is great, and so all went well.

So far, so good.

Then came the playdate. We had a lunch playdate with a friend and her daughter, and my day went downhill from there. It seems like all three girls were all feeling a little "off", and they bickered and cried and had meltdowns. They were oversensitive. They didn't want to share. They seemed to want to pick at each other to get a reaction. When the DID play together well, it was the kind of running around hysterical play that always leads to someone getting hurt or upset.

We ate an early lunch and I decided to head out after sucking back a quick cup of coffee. The energy in the house was warning me that it could all blow up at any minute. The walk home was full of pleasantness, with the wind blowing in my face and sharp raindrops pelting me in the eyeballs as the girls stayed warm and dry under the rain cover on the double stroller. They did manage to bicker and and whine and squeal about being "squished" and not wanting to share the space together that they'd sat in comfortably on the way TO the playdate. Funny how that works.

On the way home, they asked about having a video (they always get a video in the afternoon after lunch...down time for all of us). Oh yeah -- no video. The two of them had problems listening well and going to bed last night, and so the consequences of that was no video. Trust me kids, it hurts me as bad as it hurts you. On a day like today....likely worse.

Of course this would happen on the day that I need some quiet time to myself.

Since getting home they have been bickering, whining, crying and just generally bothering one another.

On a no video day.

When it's cold and dark and rainy outside.

When all I want to do is hole up with a book and wait for tomorrow to come.

It's okay. Soon we will head out down the street to visit our friend with the newborn..hopefully that will break up the afternoon a bit.

I will surive. It will be okay. Tonight I will sit in a coffee shop with a friend and drink coffee and not have anyone picking at my butt and tugging at my clothes and whining at me. Well...if you try it, Charmaine, I'll kick your ass. heh.

4 comments:

Dawna said...

Ugh, sounds rough. : ( WTG on the standing-by-your-words-even-when-it-hurts philosophy. Hopefully these days will be rare because of it. :)
***HugZ***

yofed said...

I'm sorry you are having such a rough day! *hugs*

Mama S said...

Dawna -- I'm a "say what you mean", "mean what you say" kinda mom. If I dish out consequences, then I stick by them...even if it hurts. I've watched parents for years - both good and bad - and the ones who always stick by their words get themselves into a lot less pain in the long run. That's what I always remind myself - it hurts now, but I'll thank myself for it later. And I have to say, I already have...since my kids know that I stick to my word, they very rarely test me on that front.... ;)

Anonymous said...

No whining???? Man, you're tough!