Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh Baby!

So good friends of mine had a baby last week. They endured a 40 (yes, that's right 4-0) hour labour without drugs. I have a new hero!

Anyhoo...I've had the pleasure of seeing the baby a number of times over the past week. She's adorable. She makes the 6th girl in our group of friends now. No one seems to be able to produce a boy for some reason. Maybe men are finally going extinct. heh

It's been so nice being around a newborn again. It's been a while since I've been that close to a baby so young. I love their little face twitches when they're sleeping, and their slow, languid movements, like they're still swimming. I love their little cries and breathy noises. I love the way they smell. I love the way they curl up into little bundles.

Yes, I'm one of "those" women who turn into a hormonal puddle of goo when I get in a 4 foot radius of a newborn baby. The other day I leaned over to sniff the new baby's toes and I do believe I spontaneously ovulated. heh

The interesting thing is that, somewhere in the back of my mind I always thought that I'd have 3 children. I don't know why I felt that, it was just something I'd always assumed. Of course, with C being finished at two and making the decision permanent, I'd tried to let go of that thought.

And now it seems to be coming back to haunt me again.

I certainly don't know what life has in store for me. My life has changed a whole lot in the last year and a half or so...and I can imagine that the coming years hold many more suprises. I guess today I'm feeling encouraged by that thought...the thought that my life isn't already determined for me. Though I may not know what life has in store for me...I'm sure as hell interested in finding out.

But if I know what's good for me, I'll stay away from those baby toes. At least for the time being.

No comments: